Issue Date: February 7, 2014
Volume 41 • Issue 3 • Page 239
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND MENTAL HYGIENE
Subtitle 44 BOARD OF DENTAL EXAMINERS
10.44.22 Continuing Education
Authority: Health Occupations Article, §4-205, Annotated Code of Maryland
Notice of Proposed Action
The Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene proposes to amend Regulations .04, .06, and .08 under COMAR 10.44.22 Continuing Education.
At this time, the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene is also withdrawing amendments to Regulation .04 under COMAR 10.44.22 Continuing Education, as proposed in 40:20 Md. R. 1677 (October 4, 2013).
This action was considered by the Board of Dental Examiners at a public meeting held on December 4, 2013, notice of which was given under the Notice of Public Meetings link on the Board’s website pursuant to State Government Article, §10-506(c), Annotated Code of Maryland.
Statement of Purpose
The purpose of this action is to:
(1) Delete the requirement that dentists and dental hygienists complete a Board-approved course of 2 hours in abuse and neglect as a condition of license renewal;
(2) Extend the year in which dentists will be required to complete a 2-hour Board-approved continuing education course in proper prescribing and disposal of prescription drugs as a condition of license renewal from 2014 to 2015; and
(3) Require that the course on proper prescribing and disposal of prescription drugs be taken every other renewal cycle instead of every renewal cycle.
Comparison to Federal Standards
There is no corresponding federal standard to this proposed action.
Estimate of Economic Impact
The proposed action has no economic impact.
Economic Impact on Small Businesses
The proposed action has minimal or no economic impact on small businesses.
Impact on Individuals with Disabilities
The proposed action has no impact on individuals with disabilities.
Opportunity for Public Comment
Comments may be sent to Michele A. Phinney, Director, Office of Regulation and Policy Coordination, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 201 W. Preston Street, Room 512, Baltimore, MD 21201, or call 410-767-6499 (TTY 800-735-2258), or email to email@example.com, or fax to 410-767-6483. Comments will be accepted through March 10, 2014. A public hearing has not been scheduled.
A.—B. (text unchanged)
[C. A licensee seeking renewal in 2011 and thereafter shall complete a Board-approved course of 2 hours in abuse and neglect.
D. The 2-hour, board-approved course in abuse and neglect required by §C of this regulation shall:
(1) Be completed by each licensee every other renewal cycle;
(2) Relate to Maryland law on the subject of abuse and neglect; and
(3) Count toward the 30 full hours of required continuing education.]
[D-1.] C. A dentist seeking renewal in  2015 and thereafter shall complete a 2-hour Board-approved course on proper prescribing and disposal of prescription drugs. This course shall count toward the 30 full hours of required continuing education.
D. The 2-hour Board-approved course on proper prescribing and disposal of prescription drugs required by §C of this regulation shall be completed by each dentist every other renewal cycle.
E.—F. (text unchanged)
G. A licensee may receive up to 2 continuing education hours for Board-approved courses on abuse, neglect, or human trafficking.
[G.] H.—[I.] J.
.06 Course and Program Eligibility.
A. Eligibility Guidelines.
(1) (text unchanged)
(2) [Abuse, and Neglect Courses, Cultural Competency Courses, and Pro Bono Programs.] Abuse, Neglect, or Human Trafficking Courses, Cultural Competency Courses, and Pro Bono Programs. To qualify for continuing education credit for license renewal:
(a) [The mandatory course in abuse and neglect identified in Regulation .04C and D of this chapter:] Abuse, neglect, or human trafficking courses:
(i) [Does] Do not need to be designed to enhance the licensee’s clinical knowledge and ability to treat dental patients; and
(ii) (text unchanged)
(b)—(c) (text unchanged)
B. (text unchanged)
.08 Approved Sponsors and Equivalents.
A.—B. (text unchanged)
C. If the subject matter of a course, program, or activity satisfies the requirements of [Regulations] Regulation .06 [and .07] of this chapter, a licensee may petition the Board to accept as the equivalent of an eligible continuing education course or program offered by an approved sponsor:
(1)—(2) (text unchanged)
D. (text unchanged)
JOSHUA M. SHARFSTEIN, M.D.
Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene