As of January 01, 2014, the Board of Social work Examiners no
longer issues paper licenses.
Online Renewal Instructions
You must submit (mail or fax to 410-358-2469) a copy of the
legal documentation of the change.
FOR LICENSES THAT EXPIRE ON OCTOBER 31, 2015
IMPORTANT. When entering the
Category I Ethics credit hours, please list the hours under its own heading
Before you begin, you will need the following:
- 1. Internet access. (Home, office,
- 2. Your Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners license number and your
Social Security number.
- 3. Your continuing education certificates for the last 2 year period
(11/01/13 – 10/31/15) OR, if your license was issued in 2013, since the original
- 4. Your Visa or MasterCard if paying by credit card. If you are mailing in
the payment, your checkbook or money order
- 5. A printer, to print a copy of your application and invoice or receipt.
to Renew Online
- Click “ONLINE RENEWAL”
above and proceed to the Logon
screen. Choose your level from the drop down menu.
- Enter the license number (the 5 digit social work license number located in
the bottom left hand corner of the license – without the “A” for Associate or
“G” for Graduate).
- Enter the last four digits of your social security number and click the
- Fill in the information as requested. Note that some areas may already be
completed or may be blank. Please revise or enter the information in order to
update your record.
- Part 1: Personal Information. Note: the insurance company, policy number and
expiration date of the Worker’s Compensation coverage must be completed
IF you employ individuals.
- Part II: Questions # 1 through # 6 – all must be answered with a yes or no.
- Part III: Continuing Education Units – for each program provide the
following: course title, sponsor’s name, date of program, number of CE hours,
select Category I or II and for the Ethics program select Category I Ethics
- The online program will ONLY process the renewal application IF:
The Category I continuing education credit hours total at least 20 (15 for
LBSW's) hours; with at least three Category I credit hours in Ethics; and
the grand total is at least 40 (30 for LBSW's) credit hours.
- Prior to selecting a method of payment, you must certify that all
information in the application is correct.
- Review your application and then click AFFIRM AND MAKE PAYMENT.
Note that once submitted, the application cannot be changed.
- CREDIT CARD: Select Visa or MasterCard Click once
to confirm payment. The payment is processed within 1-2 business days.
American Express & Discover are not accepted.
- PAYMENT BY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER: Mail your check or money
order payable to the Board of Social Work Examiners, along with a
copy of the online confirmation. The license will not be issued
until payment is received. The Board must receive payment on or before October
- Print and retain a copy of your renewal application and the online payment
Back to Top
Back to Top