Online Renewal Instructions
You must submit (mail or fax) a copy of the legal documentation of the change.
You may proceed with your online renewal after the change appears on the Board’s website under Verifcation
FOR LICENSES THAT EXPIRE ON OCTOBER 31, 2012
IMPORTANT. When entering the Category I Ethics credit hours, please list the hours under its own heading called ETHICS
Before you begin, you will need the following:
- 1. Internet access. (Home, office, library)
- 2. Your Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners license number and your Social Security number.
- 3. Your continuing education certificates for the last 2 year period (11/01/10 – 10/31/12) OR, if your license was issued in 2009, since the original license date.
- 4. Your Visa or MasterCard if paying by credit card. If you are mailing in the payment, your checkbook or money order
- 5. A printer, to print a copy of your application and invoice or receipt.
(Please use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox)
Steps to Renew Online
- Go to the Board’s website at http://ww.dhmh.maryland.gov/bswe and click “RENEWALS“and read instructions.
- At the bottom of the page, click “ONLINE RENEWAL” and proceed to the Logon screen. Choose your level from the drop down menu.
- Enter the license number (the 5 digit social work license number located in the bottom left hand corner of the license – without the “A” for Associate or “G” for Graduate).
- Enter the last four digits of your social security number and click the LOGON box.
- Fill in the information as requested. Note that some areas may already be completed or may be blank. Please revise or enter the information in order to update your record.
- Part 1: Personal Information. Note: the insurance company, policy number and expiration date of the Worker’s Compensation coverage must be completed IF you employ individuals.
- Part II: Questions # 1 through # 6 – all must be answered with a yes or no.
- Part III: Continuing Education Units – for each program provide the following: course title, sponsor’s name, date of program, number of CE hours, select Category I or II and for the Ethics program select Category I Ethics
- The online program will ONLY process the renewal application IF: The Category I continuing education credit hours total at least 20 (15 for LSWA's) hours; with at least three Category I credit hours in Ethics; and the grand total is at least 40 (30 for LSWA's) credit hours.
- Prior to selecting a method of payment, you must certify that all information in the application is correct.
- Review your application and then click AFFIRM AND MAKE PAYMENT. Note that once submitted, the application cannot be changed.
- CREDIT CARD: Select Visa or MasterCard Click once to confirm payment. The payment is processed within 1-2 business days. American Express & Discover are not accepted.
- PAYMENT BY CHECK OR MONEY ORDER: Mail your check or money order payable to the Board of Social Work Examiners, along with a copy of the online confirmation. The license will not be issued until payment is received. The Board must receive payment on or before October 31st.
- Print and retain a copy of your renewal application and the online payment receipt.
Back to Top >
Back to Top >