Board of Professional Counselors
Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists
- The office is closed Friday May 22 and Monday May 25 in observance in of the Memorial Day holiday. Office will reopen on Tuesday, May 26th.
- Legislation was passed in 2014 requiring the Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists to regulate the practice of behavior analysis. Beginning January, 2015 individuals practicing behavior analysis must be licensed. The application for licensure is posted below.
As part of the application process all applicants must submit to a criminal history records check. Information regarding the criminal history will be sent to you once your application has been received.
- Effective January 1, 2014 all new applicants for licensure, certification,and trainee status must have a criminal history records check.
Marriage and Family Therapists.
About the Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists
Welcome to the Maryland State Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists. The Board operates under the Maryland Professional Counselors and Therapists Act, Health Occupations Article, Title 17, Annotated Code of Maryland. The Board is the licensing authority of professional counselors and therapists in the State of Maryland. The Board is mandated to regulate the practice of counseling and therapy by licensing and certifying qualified counselors and therapists, adopting a code of ethics, establishing fees, promulgating regulations for the practice of professional counseling and therapy, verification of credentials, issuances of licenses, establish requirements for and verification of completion of continuing education, investigation of complaints based on alleged violations of regulations and statutes, create committees to advise the Board on special issues and submit an annual report to the Governor and Secretary.
Board meetings are held the third Friday of every month. The General Session of the Board is open to the public. The State Board will not meet in July or August.
- January 16 - Board Meeting
- February 20 - Board Meeting
- March 20 - Board Meeting Cancelled
- April 24 - Board Meeting
- May 15 - Board Meeting
- June 19 - Board Meeting
- September 18 - Board Meeting
- October 16 - Board Meeting
- November 20 - Board Meeting
- December 18 - Board Meeting
4201 Patterson Avenue,
Baltimore, Maryland 21215-2299